Wire bonding is mainly the process of creating the electrical interconnections between semiconductors which are also the integrated circuit and silicon chips. By using the bonding wires, which are the fine wires that are made of materials such as gold and aluminum. Ball bonding is the type of wire bonding.
The process of ball bonding to know about
The ball bonding applications are mainly associated with thermocompression and thermosonic joining methods. The thermocompression mainly utilizes pressure and temperature from about 150 degrees centigrade to create the intermetallic bond. The thermosonic process mainly adds ultrasonic energy from the previous process. With both methods, however, the free air ball is being created with the help of the spark from an electronic flame off. The ball bonding process is having faster speeds. Different types of wire which are mainly used for this application include palladium-coated, gold, and copper wires. This ball bonding process is mainly suited for some of the fine pitch applications down to 40 microns or less.
Benefits of the ball bonding process
- There can be simple testability of the connection
- Possibility of different type of metallizations of the pads on the chip carrier
- There can be a reduction in the production costs
- This process can have a lower processing temperature
- There can be simple handling of the complex circuits