There are numerous ways through which a hacker may launch an attack against your company. A backdoor is basically unauthorized access to a system or network, by bypassing existing security measures. Sometimes, backdoors are created on purpose, to test systems or fix internal issues, but when a hacker manages to use backdoor exploit, it can pose serious risk. This is also because these unauthorized backdoors are really hard to detect.
How are backdoors used by hackers?
Hackers use backdoors for different reasons. It could be related to installing additional software or malware on the system, or just for steaking data. Hackers may use a backdoor to download files, run processes, or control the device remotely. Backdoors have been also used to launch DDoS attacks and changing computer settings, such as passwords.
Preventing backdoor attacks
The reason why you should be worried about backdoor attacks is the difficulty in detecting these. There are cases when backdoors have existed for months and companies didn’t even realize the same. So, how can you prevent a backdoor attack? Below are some quick tips.
- Use an antimalware suite. Most backdoor attacks are launched through malware, so having an antimalware software system in place can be handy. Make sure that you have a professional program meant for business use.
- Use firewall. Every device, including IP cameras, which are connected to a network can be hacked and be the source of a backdoor attack. For preventing that, ensure that networked devices are placed behind firewall.
- Update your software. Unpatched software, firmware, and browsers could be a source of backdoor attacks, as hackers try to exploit existing flaws. As soon as new updates are made available for a program or software, ensure that the same is installed.
- Use additional security. Just by using a second or third layer of security, besides a strong password, you can take protection to the next level. Add a security question, something like a pin or onetime password, so that hacking a device doesn’t become easy.
- Use the lockout feature. For preventing brute force attacks, consider using the lockout feature, where a device or account would automatically get locked out for a period, if a wrong password is used for more than a few times.
Check online now to find more on the best antimalware solutions, which are important for preventing backdoor attacks. If you detect a backdoor, ensure that all your resources are secured using necessary protocols.